I can’t say I’ve ever made biscuits and gravy. I love them and they make me think of my Dad and my Husband, but I’ve never made them.
A few weeks ago, Husband tagged me in a Tasty video on Facebook – Gravy-Stuffed Biscuits. They looked DIVINE and we vowed to make them together one weekend.
Well, we stuck to our vow and we are very impressed with ourselves because they were absolutely amazing. They’re so easy, and put a unique twist on the classic breakfast recipe. Next time we have to take a dish to a brunch or have people stay the night with us, these will be first on our list to make.
I hope you enjoy them as much as we did!
G R A V Y – S T U F F E D B I S C U I T S
- 14 oz. ground italian sausage
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 biscuits – we used fluffy, buttery biscuits!
- S+P and other seasoning options: italian seasoning, basil, thyme, sage
1. Cook the sausage over medium-high heat.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low. Sprinkle the flour over the sausage and stir until the flour has absorbed all of the sausage fat and is lightly coating the sausage pieces.
3. Add the milk in several increments while whisking.
4. Season with S+P and anything else you may have – we used some italian seasoning.
5. Cook the gravy for 5-10 minutes, frequently stirring until the gravy thickens. Let cool.
6. Fill a well-greased ice-cube tray with the gravy OR if you’re like us and don’t have an ice-cube tray, you can use liners in a cupcake pan.
7. Freeze for 30-40 minutes.
8. Pre-heat the oven to 350.
9. Flatten out the biscuits, and place a cube of gravy into each of the biscuits.
10. Fold the sides of the biscuit dough around the gravy cube pinching the dough together at the top. Roll the biscuit balls to smooth them out.
11. Place the biscuits on a parchment lined ½ cookie sheet making sure the dough seams are on the bottom.
12. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
If you have leftover gravy, re-heat it and add on top! It would also be good to make gravy without sausage just for dipping.