I turned 31 yesterday. I had an incredible weekend celebrating with my closest friends, but I came home to the news of Kobe Bryant’s death. At 41. Exactly 10 years older than I am now. I’m not a huge basketball or Kobe fan more so than the average person, but the news left me speechless. There are a few things I’ll never forget from my 31st birthday and this is one of them. In a way, it made my birthday a little sweeter. I’ve always been one to celebrate birthdays big, but I felt especially grateful yesterday to have made it another year.
In the spirit of living to our fullest every day since we don’t know when it’s our last, I wanted to share with my faithful readers that I’m retiring my blog indefinitely.
For a few years now, I’ve had a life goal of writing a novel. I loved creative writing as a kid and filled notebook upon notebook of stories and dreams. I shared them with my family, my teachers, my classmates, my friends. It was my biggest passion and I want to take that back. So I’ve decided to use the time I was spending on my blog instead to focus my efforts on writing my novel. We aren’t guaranteed another day, so why wait?
It’s actually very apt that I published my first blog post in 2010 – which at the time was called An Apple A Day (for my maiden name Appleton). I started out simply by sharing the uncomplicated musings of a college student and then it grew into book reviews and my favorite easy/delicious/somewhat healthy recipes (that I know a couple in Washington state will miss!) and travel picturebooks and life lately and being a safe space to be vulnerable about my grief when my dad passed away.
I will miss this blog so much and the joy of writing it and reading all of your comments and how it impacted you. I never once wanted this to become a “job” or a way for me to make money, and it never did. It was simply a scrapbook of my life from 2010-2020 that I can’t wait to look back on for years to come.
This isn’t to say the blog will never return. It’s just the right thing for now. Sometimes you have to leave things behind in order to make space for something new.
Still want to know what I’m reading, where I’m traveling + where I’m drinking wine next?! Follow me on instagram @milledavis.
Cheers to a new decade and new beginnings.
[terrific trip with our “central park” squad – perfect fall weather, tattoos, peloton, amazing food + drink, comedy club, broadway and more!]
H A L L O W E E N
[“why’s the carpet all wet, TODD?” “I don’t know, MARGO!”]
[annual hayes halloween party!]
T H A N K S G I V I N G
[smaller thanksgiving this year, but just as thankful for this family and those not here <3]
[celebrated this || a gorgeous wedding with gorgeous friends!]
[cheered on this || tailgating szn has officially begun]
[hosted this || 4th annual fall party with the best cheese + charcuterie board ever]
[enjoyed this || work travel from Florida to Canada!
You know what they say – Work Hard, Play Hard ❤️]
J U L Y
- Pedialyte popsicles are game changers.
- Even if you like Black Box wine, don’t even think about trying the whiskey.
- Bottomless mimosa brunch is always/never a good idea.
- 13 years later, Veronica Mars has still got it. #TrueLoVeForever
- People are legitimately divided on the purpose of a koozie.
- Find someone to take on their first 2am Waffle House experience.
- Have a beer with your parents’ childhood friends.
- You can do yoga poses while holding wine.
- Take your birthday off work.
- Jump in the pool.
A U G U S T
- It doesn’t matter if it’s “dry heat”, 105 degrees is too.freaking.hot.
- Traveling hungover is the absolute worst.
- 3-year-olds will ask you questions you’ve never even considered before.
- Be bold and take yourself out of a situation you don’t want to be in.
- Sometimes an ice luge is purely for show.
- Meet your significant other in another city.
- Be EXTREMELY clear to said significant other about what flight you’re on.
- Go see an Illusionist and allow your belief to be suspended, if only for 1 night.
- Don’t let the tiniest thing ruin your evening.
- Be patient; it is a virtue after all.
- PSL Cold Brew is the best drink Starbucks has ever created.
- Never let me eat Taco Bell in the car.
- Buy a newly engaged couple a bottle of wine – even when you don’t know them.
- Let celebrities enjoy time with their families.
- Trust, but verify.
- Key lime pie is always better in Florida.
- 75% of adults are magnesium deficient.
- Mix prints and just go with it.
- Open the Veuve on a random night.
- The bigger the charcuterie board = the better.
The blog is back from summer hiatus! Here’s a snapshot of our summer – from NYC to LA to everything in between. ❤
[the best live DJ ride with robin + DJ john michael
350 rides for me + 400 rides for husband!!]
[mind seriously BLOWN by Dan White, the Magician – highly recommend]
[sunset sails are my absolutely favorite]
[greenwich village: dinner at palma + snuck in to smalls jazz club]
[labor day weekend]
[soaking up the sun in manhattan beach]
[room views + hotel pools]
[ended the trip at my favorite places with my favorite people]
E V E R Y T H I N G. I N. B E T W E E N.
[LE event of the SUMMER – Stephen and Jaimie get MARRIED!!!]
[celebrated my favorite guy’s birthday with concert, cake + daquiris]
[hosted family + showed them some of our fave spots around town]
[dinner + a show with the fam]
[sunset sails, whether on the hudson river or beaver lake, never disappoint]
Summer was delightful, but now on to my favorite season of all – F A L L !
[enjoying this || a perfect summer evening with tap dance, tacos + beer]
[soaking in this || the start of summer fridays]
[dancing to this || girls night out to see our favorite 90s cover band]
[relaxing like this || the most chill 4th of july weekend with my favorite people]
Alright friends, I’m signing off for the summer!
Enjoy the longer days, the extra time with family + friends and take some time just for YOU (preferably with rosé).
I’ll be back in September with life lately summer edition, alllll the book reviews + more travel adventures! ❤
M A Y
- Celebrate anniversaries, even if it’s just with champagne on the patio.
- Something you loved last year might not be something you love this year.
- Celebrities – they’re just like us.
- Put your mozzarella in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before eating it (trust me).
- Watching series finales is more fun with friends.
- A themed party is a better party.
- Sunscreen DOES expire.
- Wine hack: never order the 2nd cheapest wine on the menu.
- Add coffee grounds to your hydrangeas to turn them blue.
- There’s no place like home.
J U N E
- Visit/call/send postcards to your grandparents.
- Las Vegas sun is different than Arkansas sun.
- Wash your hair immediately after smoking a cigar.
- Don’t let your husband go to the dealership to just “test drive”.
- Long weekends are not the same as a week-long vacation.
- Sports can actually be fun if you have money riding on the game.
- You can make a delicious drink out of (accidental) frozen wine aka breakfast sangria slushie.
- If it feels like fate, take the leap and go for it.
- Don’t break in new shoes in Las Vegas.
- Take the bet; you have to risk to get the reward.