We had the best start to our vacation visiting Kyle’s grandparents in Reno! They took us to Virginia City (old western town), we explored downtown Reno, and we had lots of late night wine in grandma’s gorgeous garden.
Then we took an amazing day trip to Lake Tahoe – one of my favorite places of ever!
L A S V E G A S
Night 1: We love the Cosmopolitan + Absinthe!! If you haven’t seen the show, we highly recommend, but warning it is VERY raunchy.
Pool days are the best days!
Night 2: We still love the Cosmopolitan and didn’t leave – found amazing live music + food at Rose. Rabbit.Lie, the coolest speakeasy behind a barbershop + late night milk bar cake (and secret pizza, obviously).
Another pool day and the best breakfast sandwich I’ve ever had in my life … also won $$ on my first ever sports bet. Yay Toronto!
Fun last night at Container Park + Fremont Street
We had the best vacation spending time with family, and can’t wait to go back! ❤
In May, we celebrated 5 years in our very first home. I’m amazed by how quickly the time has gone and how much we still love it just as much as that first year. If there’s anything that could make me feel like a legit adult, this is it!
In honor of the anniversary, I wanted to capture 5 favorite memories in our home + a few things we’ve learned along the way …
- I’ll never forget our very first night in our first home. It genuinely feels just like one of those highlight reels in a move. We bought our favorite wine + beer, ordered pizza and sat cross-legged on the floor giddily talking about the future.
2. I love hosting and entertaining people, and we’ve had a lot of incredible parties at our house (My Golden Birthday, Annual Fall Parties, South by South Mouth NYE bashes, Game of Thrones finale, etc.) It’s really hard to choose just one, but I think our #WarmThisHouse party stands out the most probably because it was the very first. We hosted family + friends, ate macarons + took shots, turned our patio into a cocktail hour, and ended the night with costumes and jumping photoshoots. I love this pin board of our polaroid pics from the night that I keep in our bedroom. It reminds me of the simple things in life.
3. Here’s a life lesson: A house is hard work, but a yard is HARDER work. Boy, have we learned this. I’ll never forget the first summer in our house when I spent hours pulling freaking dandelions from the front yard. Then hours pruning our rose bushes. Then hours at the doctor with my infected hand thanks to the rose bushes. Another lesson – sometimes just spend the money to have someone help you.
4. We’ve made several updates to our home – changing light fixtures, patching holes in the wall thanks to dear ol’ Olli, but none so big as deciding to add on a deck, and husband’s only request: a hammock. It’s been some of the best money spent + best decision ever made.
5. Truly my favorite memory of all though in the 5 years of our home has been enjoying time on our front porch. There’s something so special about that white wrap-around beauty. I feel so much peace on that porch, especially in early morning and early evening. (especially in fall with a blanket, coffee + book!) I’ve planned international trips out there, had countless deep conversations with friends + intimate conversations with God, and most recently enjoyed a nice bottle of rosé to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary. A lot of life has happened on this porch.
I’m so thankful to have such an amazing home to share with my family, and just as thankful to have some of our best friends living in our neighborhood. Aren’t neighbor friends so special?
I truly can’t wait to see what the next 5 years brings. ❤
[drinking this || all the beer at our favorite event, fayetteville foamfest]
[loving this || the best monday night with literally everyone at the killers!]
[enjoying this || a quick trip to LA for work, eating at my favorite restaurant, spending time with one of my favorite people + running into DIANE KEATON!!]
[cheers-ing to this || an amazing long weekend]
Reminder: for 2019 I’m starting a new series – 10 things. I want to capture things I’m learning in my 30th year whether tiny or bold, big or small. The rules: It can only be one sentence, and there can’t be repeating lessons from month to month. It can be something I’ve learned in prior years, but needed reminding. I’m also including one picture per month that’s symbolic of the month for me.
My plan was to post this monthly, but the past few months have been craaaazy so doing a combo post again. Here are 20 things I’ve been learning:
M A R C H
- Don’t be lazy – put your outdoor cushions inside for the winter.
- Sometimes a 9:15pm dinner is the best dinner.
- Porch wine always tastes better than inside wine.
- Israeli hummus is the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my life.
- There is nothing like the first spring day.
- I am the worst uuni pizza chef.
- Give yourself permission to do nothing for an afternoon.
- Lemon coffee is not just a thing, but a very delicious thing.
- The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
- Don’t listen to other people’s negative opinions.
A P R I L
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- Wind therapy is a real thing.
- Add brussels sprouts to your crawfish boil.
- Sometimes the right thing to right thing to do is the hard thing to do.
- A fresh coat of paint can make the world of a difference.
- Not all tiki bar drinks come with umbrellas.
- Seeing my name in a byline never gets old.
- You can get a sunburn in April.
- A cookie can make someone’s day.
- Book the massage.
10 Things: Jan + Feb
Life lately has been CRAZY. I’d sum it up perfectly with the manifesto –
W O R K H A R D . P L A Y H A R D .
I haven’t blogged in a month (since our trip to Philly), so here’s a little peek into my life as of late.
[planned this (with some other party people!) || clorox spring fling at the holler]
[enjoyed this || a night out with the girls to see Waitress at the WAC – which we LOVED!]
[soaking in this || the most beautiful spring weather]
Busy month, huh? Philly > Durham > SF … and things don’t seem to be slowing down any time soon.
But you know what I’ve been thinking lately – let’s be THANKFUL for being busy with all good things, and enjoy the little moments of joy and relaxation with my favorite people while I can. ❤
For 2019, I’m starting a new series – 10 things. I want to capture things I’m learning in my 30th year whether tiny or bold, big or small. The rules: It can only be one sentence, and there can’t be repeating lessons from month to month. It can be something I’ve learned in prior years, but needed reminding. I’m also including one picture per month that’s symbolic of the month for me.
Since I missed the first month, we’re starting out with Jan + Feb, so here are the 20 things I’ve learned:
- 3 birthday cakes are better than 1.
- 3 happy birthday songs are better than 1.
- The sticks in shuffleboard are called Tangs and the discs are called Biscuits.
- I really can exercise every single day, even if only for 10 minutes.
- The most expensive wine does not always equal the best tasting wine.
- Don’t obsess over the weather – you can’t change it anyway.
- New year’s resolutions shouldn’t start until the first Monday of the year.
- It’s okay not to finish everything you start.
- I’m pretty positive I have seasonal affective disorder.
- Sometimes inanimate objects are really hard to say goodbye to.
F E B R U A R Y
- We have control over our fears, and they’re often not nearly as big as we make them out to be.
- I can get tired of drinking wine.
- Nobody cares or notices if you’re on third-day hair.
- Burmese food is delicious.
- Make time for Galentine’s Day just as you would for Valentine’s Day.
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.
- The best team building is traveling together, especially if it also includes working on a ranch in 40 degrees.
- If you want to sound sophisticated about wine, just say it has BALANCE.
- Being bold looks different for everyone.
- While February is the shortest month of the year, it definitely feels like the longest month of the year.
[eating this || first ever attempt at making sunny side up eggs + chrissy teigen’s cheesy spicy hash
D E L I S H ]
[watching this || february friday night film vault: oscars edition. hi, stephen!]