J U L Y
- Pedialyte popsicles are game changers.
- Even if you like Black Box wine, don’t even think about trying the whiskey.
- Bottomless mimosa brunch is always/never a good idea.
- 13 years later, Veronica Mars has still got it. #TrueLoVeForever
- People are legitimately divided on the purpose of a koozie.
- Find someone to take on their first 2am Waffle House experience.
- Have a beer with your parents’ childhood friends.
- You can do yoga poses while holding wine.
- Take your birthday off work.
- Jump in the pool.
A U G U S T
- It doesn’t matter if it’s “dry heat”, 105 degrees is too.freaking.hot.
- Traveling hungover is the absolute worst.
- 3-year-olds will ask you questions you’ve never even considered before.
- Be bold and take yourself out of a situation you don’t want to be in.
- Sometimes an ice luge is purely for show.
- Meet your significant other in another city.
- Be EXTREMELY clear to said significant other about what flight you’re on.
- Go see an Illusionist and allow your belief to be suspended, if only for 1 night.
- Don’t let the tiniest thing ruin your evening.
- Be patient; it is a virtue after all.
- PSL Cold Brew is the best drink Starbucks has ever created.
- Never let me eat Taco Bell in the car.
- Buy a newly engaged couple a bottle of wine – even when you don’t know them.
- Let celebrities enjoy time with their families.
- Trust, but verify.
- Key lime pie is always better in Florida.
- 75% of adults are magnesium deficient.
- Mix prints and just go with it.
- Open the Veuve on a random night.
- The bigger the charcuterie board = the better.
M A Y
- Celebrate anniversaries, even if it’s just with champagne on the patio.
- Something you loved last year might not be something you love this year.
- Celebrities – they’re just like us.
- Put your mozzarella in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before eating it (trust me).
- Watching series finales is more fun with friends.
- A themed party is a better party.
- Sunscreen DOES expire.
- Wine hack: never order the 2nd cheapest wine on the menu.
- Add coffee grounds to your hydrangeas to turn them blue.
- There’s no place like home.
J U N E
- Visit/call/send postcards to your grandparents.
- Las Vegas sun is different than Arkansas sun.
- Wash your hair immediately after smoking a cigar.
- Don’t let your husband go to the dealership to just “test drive”.
- Long weekends are not the same as a week-long vacation.
- Sports can actually be fun if you have money riding on the game.
- You can make a delicious drink out of (accidental) frozen wine aka breakfast sangria slushie.
- If it feels like fate, take the leap and go for it.
- Don’t break in new shoes in Las Vegas.
- Take the bet; you have to risk to get the reward.
Reminder: for 2019 I’m starting a new series – 10 things. I want to capture things I’m learning in my 30th year whether tiny or bold, big or small. The rules: It can only be one sentence, and there can’t be repeating lessons from month to month. It can be something I’ve learned in prior years, but needed reminding. I’m also including one picture per month that’s symbolic of the month for me.
My plan was to post this monthly, but the past few months have been craaaazy so doing a combo post again. Here are 20 things I’ve been learning:
M A R C H
- Don’t be lazy – put your outdoor cushions inside for the winter.
- Sometimes a 9:15pm dinner is the best dinner.
- Porch wine always tastes better than inside wine.
- Israeli hummus is the best thing I’ve ever eaten in my life.
- There is nothing like the first spring day.
- I am the worst uuni pizza chef.
- Give yourself permission to do nothing for an afternoon.
- Lemon coffee is not just a thing, but a very delicious thing.
- The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
- Don’t listen to other people’s negative opinions.
A P R I L
- It always seems impossible until it’s done.
- Wind therapy is a real thing.
- Add brussels sprouts to your crawfish boil.
- Sometimes the right thing to right thing to do is the hard thing to do.
- A fresh coat of paint can make the world of a difference.
- Not all tiki bar drinks come with umbrellas.
- Seeing my name in a byline never gets old.
- You can get a sunburn in April.
- A cookie can make someone’s day.
- Book the massage.
10 Things: Jan + Feb
For 2019, I’m starting a new series – 10 things. I want to capture things I’m learning in my 30th year whether tiny or bold, big or small. The rules: It can only be one sentence, and there can’t be repeating lessons from month to month. It can be something I’ve learned in prior years, but needed reminding. I’m also including one picture per month that’s symbolic of the month for me.
Since I missed the first month, we’re starting out with Jan + Feb, so here are the 20 things I’ve learned:
- 3 birthday cakes are better than 1.
- 3 happy birthday songs are better than 1.
- The sticks in shuffleboard are called Tangs and the discs are called Biscuits.
- I really can exercise every single day, even if only for 10 minutes.
- The most expensive wine does not always equal the best tasting wine.
- Don’t obsess over the weather – you can’t change it anyway.
- New year’s resolutions shouldn’t start until the first Monday of the year.
- It’s okay not to finish everything you start.
- I’m pretty positive I have seasonal affective disorder.
- Sometimes inanimate objects are really hard to say goodbye to.
F E B R U A R Y
- We have control over our fears, and they’re often not nearly as big as we make them out to be.
- I can get tired of drinking wine.
- Nobody cares or notices if you’re on third-day hair.
- Burmese food is delicious.
- Make time for Galentine’s Day just as you would for Valentine’s Day.
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.
- The best team building is traveling together, especially if it also includes working on a ranch in 40 degrees.
- If you want to sound sophisticated about wine, just say it has BALANCE.
- Being bold looks different for everyone.
- While February is the shortest month of the year, it definitely feels like the longest month of the year.