All The Tears for Parenthood
Let me start out by saying, I originally thought I was going to hate Parenthood.
In fact, Husband and I started watching it a few years ago and couldn’t get over the “realness” of it. The son is diagnosed with Aspergers in the first episode. And there was drama, and crying, and intense relationships. All things I normally love in a TV show, but for some reason it just felt too real, and I didn’t want to watch that when I was already living real life.
Fast forward to Christmas, when all my shows were on hiatus and I decided to give it another chance (sans Husband and his complaining) because a) everyone just looooves it b) Lorelei Gilmore’s in it c) I read a buzzfeed article talking about how many Friday Night Lights characters are in it d) Jen Hatmaker’s posts about binge-watching it.
So, I started. And here I am 4 months later, after watching 6 seasons, and I’m pretty sure I’ve cried more than I ever have watching a TV show. (Something Husband just doesn’t understand. Why would I want to watch a show that makes me cry?? Men.)
In honor of all my tears, good and bad, and all of yours that you definitely shed watching this show, here are my top 13 crying moments: (Of course, I cried at least once an episode, so this is 13/103)
- When Amber got in the life-threatening car accident, and Zeek set her straight, and we all cried in the junkyard and wished Zeek was our grandfather.
- When Christina found out she had breast cancer and told Adam in the parking lot, while Max was looking at puppies.
- Christina’s videos. (all.the.tears.)
- When Julia realized she wasn’t taking home Zoe’s baby, and lost it in the hospital. (like I lost it in my living room)
- When Victor hit the baseball, and the entire family was there, and it felt like he was really part of the family now.
- When Victor was officially adopted into the family. Happy tears!
- When Julia begged Joel not to move out and he was stone cold, and she was trying so hard.
- When Joel met Julia and the kids at the ice-rink, and we knew it was all going to work out.
- When Max told his parents his classmates peed in his canteen and said he was a freak. (Oh.my.gosh. How can I ever be a parent if I was this upset over a TV show?!)
- When Zeek met great-grandson Zeek, and everything was right in the world.
- When Zeek walked Sarah down the aisle, and everything was right in the world.
- When Camille found Zeek in the chair, and everything was not right in the world.
- The entire.final.scene at the baseball field. So amazingly perfect. May God bless you, and keep you always.
And, I’m crying again just thinking about it. I’d say that’s the mark of a great show.
What was your most cry-worthy moment from the show?