Confession: I love mixtapes. If you make me a mixtape, I’ll love you forever. There’s something so special about them. All the mixtapes I’ve made or that have been given to me reflect a moment in time. The songs remind me of a specific person, place or event. I can go back and listen to them and remember the smallest details about that time in my life.
Over the years I’ve most commonly made mixtapes for road trips. Among my collection I have OKC, Tulsa, Green Forest, N. Dakota, Spring Break + many more. When I was younger I even used to write out all the songs on a piece of paper in order with title and artist. I still have the CD and list for Cozumel 2003. If only you knew what was on that CD…
In the spirit of old mixtapes, Husband and I are making one for our trip to Kansas City this weekend. We’re headed up for a little weekend getaway to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. Since we have very different taste in music it will be an interesting compilation, but will hopefully keep both of us musically satisfied for the trip.
Enjoy a peek at our mixtape and let me know what songs would be on yours. Happy long weekend! xo
1. Next to Me, Emeli Sande
2. You and I, Local Natives
3. Shake It Out, Florence + The Machine
4. I Should Live in Salt, The National
5. Today Was a Fairtytale, Taylor Swift
6. Humiliation, The National
7. West Coast, Coconut Records
8. This Is The Last Time, The National
9. Stay, Rihanna
10. Demons, The National
11. I Knew You Were Trouble, Taylor Swift
12. Sea of Love, The National
13. Freaks & Geeks, Childish Gambino
14. Pink Rabbits, The National
15. Breakers, Local Natives
16. Graceless, The National
17. Little Talks, Of Monsters and Men
P.S. I also purchased The Great Gatsby soundtrack for the trip, which is supposed to be AMAZING. It’s produced by Jay-Z, so that’s a pretty good start.