It’s funny. It’s relatable. It’s pop culture.
Growing up, of course I’d seen Seinfeld reruns on TV, but I never watched many of them. I knew the characters. I knew the soup nazi and festivus, but other than that it was just another TV show.
When Hulu added the entire series, Husband and I decided we had to start from the beginning and see what the heck this show was really about. Of course, now we know, it’s really about nothing. Literally, the show about nothing. We are 5 and a half seasons in (out of 9) and here’s what I’ve realized …
I mean, I always thought it was funny when I would see reruns on TV, but it is fuuuunnnnnny. Husband and I struggle to find comedies to watch these days that make us laugh out loud consistently, but this one never fails us. I’ve talked to several people who asked, “does it really still hold up?” “is it really funny even to millennials?” YES. YES. YES. It’s easy, clean, good humor. And every episode we talk about how they bring it full circle in the most perfect way.
Okay, so we know it’s the show about nothing, but the funny thing is, since we’ve been watching the show we’ve had strange instances where we will personally experience things that we just saw in an episode. For example, we watched an entire episode about saving seats in the movie theater. Two days later, we went to see Star Wars Rogue One and I swear it was like we were playing out that episode. Another example, we watched an episode about getting lost in a parking garage (still one of my favorite eps) and a few weeks later we could not find our way out of a parking garage!
That’s why this show is so funny in such a unique way – you can relate to every episode because it’s the mundane things that happen to everyone. You laugh because you totally get it.
We just watched an episode where the person in the stall next to Elaine wouldn’t give her any toilet paper “I can’t spare a square” – I just know that will happen to me soon, and I will lose my sh*t.
It’s pop culture.
How can I, a lover of all things pop-culture, not watch Seinfeld?? Seinfeld is one of those shows that everyone knows and everyone quotes and if you don’t know it, you feel so left out. Even 20 years later! At a work Christmas party someone brought a mug that said, “The jerk store called …” with George’s face on it. We clearly hadn’t gotten to that episode so I had no clue what it meant, but everyone else did. So we sped ahead and watched it and it was hilarious. Literally ONE WEEK LATER, we were in a museum in Washington D.C. and I overheard someone saying, “The jerk store called …” HA! I understood the reference! It was a proud, personal Seinfeld moment.
What are your favorite Seinfeld episodes or favorite quotes?
Well, it happened. I finished Friday Night Lights. And I’m still crying about it.
If you don’t understand what I’m talking about, or if you are a huge fan of FNL, then you must pause and read this Buzzfeed: What It’s Like Watching Friday Night Lights for the First Time. It captures all my feels perfectly. PERFECTLY. Thank you, Buzzfeed.
10 Reasons Why I Need Another Season of FNL
[SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN’T SEEN THE FULL SERIES – AND IF YOU HAVEN’T, THEN STOP READING AND START WATCHING RIGHT NOW!]
1. Y’all, I need to see Tami Taylor doin’ her thing in the big leagues. You know she is totally rocking Dean of Admissions.
2. Speaking of, what is high school football like in Philadelphia?! Does it have as much heart as in the South? Probably not, but I’m sure Coach Taylor can change all of that.
3. Where is Landry?!! I’m glad we saw (two seconds) of him in the finale, but I need to know more, and does Crucifictorious have an album out yet??
4. Is Tim just sitting on his land drinking beer in his new house from now on? I need to see that he got a good job and has a life outside of Lyla Garrity.
5. Speaking of Lyla, wait, nevermind. I couldn’t really care less what she’s up to.
6. Did Vince lead the Panthers to another state championship? And where did he end up going to school? And is his sweet mom still doing okay?
7. How are Billy and Mindy handling TWINS? Does she now keep all 3 kids backstage at the Landing Strip during her shifts?
8. Did Matt and Julie really ever get married? Did he at least propose again in a more romantic place than the Alamo Freeze?
9. Just because I can’t even fathom that it’s over. I just need one more season, just one more … I’m not addicted, I swear.
10. Most importantly, I just need more Tim Riggins in my life. Period.
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.
[Read more pop culture posts here.]